A Romantic Length Tutu

Every little girl's dream is to have a romantic flowing tutu.  Since Megan is into ballet then she loves tutus even more.  So why in the world have I not made her a tutu?
So here is the story on the tutu.  Isn't it funny that it has taken me about ten years before I actually made one.  Megan has been in ballet since she was 2 1/2 years old and I have not made her a tutu for pictures or to play dress up.  So why have I now had a chance to make a tutu?  The lovely teachers in Megan's ballet class asked me if I could help with their costumes for the December Showcase.  All of the ballet classes will be dancing in the Waltz of the Snowflakes from the Nutcracker.  The bigger girls will be wearing long romantic tutu's while the smaller girls will be wearing tied tulle tutus.  I get to make the long tutus and I am so excited!  I probably am going to be crazy by the time I am finished though.

First I decided to make a sample before cutting into the tulle for the showcase.   I picked out a dark pink and light pink tulle for Megan's tutu.  Instead of satin ribbon I used satin blanket binding for the sash.  It worked really well for one tutu.  The skirt ended up with 3 layers of dark pink and 3 layers of light pink for 6 layers total.  I found a wonderful video explaining on how to make the skirt.  If you want to make a similar tutu check out Anjou's tutorial of AnjouClothing. It comes in two parts.  Part I explains the measurements and yardage requirements while Part 2 explains the rest of the construction.  She did a wonderful job explaining each step.  I did modify my tutu a bit for my purposes and it turned out rather beautiful. David is going to make Megan's 10 year old portraits in it when the weather turns warmer. I have already bought her a pink leotard with a pretty lattice back.  She is going to look so sweet.


Popular Posts